Wednesday, October 20, 2010

FO: Traveling Woman Shawl


Pattern: Traveling Woman (rav link) by feministy.com
Yarn: Merino Cashmere Lace by Squoosh in the Ink colorway
Needles:  Knit Picks Interchangeable in Harmony Wood, size US 8 (5.0 mm)

Oh my goodness, this must be my favorite FO (finished object) to date.  The yarn is amazing, the pattern is amazing, the entire project is amazing.

I held the yarn double for a more substantial weight to the shawl and I am so glad I did. Made from merino, cashmere, and nylon, this yarn is labeled as lace weight, but I'd call it more light fingering and held double it fell somewhere between sport and DK weights.  The yarn is soft and heavy all at the same time, and the color, wow!  Classic and simple but really complex and sophisticated all at the same time.  Wilson liked the yarn, too, and somewhere around the second lace repeat he chewed through the ziploc bag in which the project was housed and proceeded to string yarn around table legs, under the couch, through my spinning wheel, through the cat door and into the bathroom (yes, our bathroom door has a cat door. It's a long story.), back into the living room and into my office.  I spent around 2 hours untangling and re-balling the yarn.  I had to cut it in a few places and was forced to cook my cat for dinner.  All in all I used around 795 yards (or 397 yards held double) but there were a lot of unusable scraps left over from Wilson's adventure.

The pattern is lovely and straightforward and I imagine it would be great for beginner lace knitters, as all you need to know is yo and sl1k in order to make the lace border.

I got an impressive 68 inch wingspan from this project with a 24 inch point.

I haven't taken it off my shoulders since it finished blocking.  It is slated to be a Christmas present for someone special but if I can knit another for her before Christmas, I'm keeping it for myself.  Naughty.

No comments: