Wednesday, October 29, 2008

In the days of ordinary splendor.

"Learn to write about the ordinary. Give homage to old coffee cups, sparrows, city buses, thin ham sandwiches. Make a list of everything ordinary you can think of. Keep adding to it. Promise yourself, before you leave the earth, to mention everything on your list at least once in a poem, short story, newspaper article."

-Nathalie Goldberg


In the days of ordinary splendor, I spend mornings on my front deck in my favorite shoes, with my tea or chai, a book, and my dogs. We listen to good music, or sometimes just the birds and rustlings of the morning glories. My life is quite pretty, no matter how often it becomes overwhelming or too stressful to deal with.

Todays list:
paint bottles
green smoothies
chai
my lovely bed
my pets
my daily soundtrack (today is the Once soundtrack)
watching movies before bed
finishing a good book and yearning for more
good hair days (today was a good hair day)
mornings off
apples (I'm in love with baby galas right now)

I've spent a few days being creative, but I can't post pictures yet... They're presents for dear ones, but hopefully after this weekend they will have them and pictures will be posted. I'm rather excited about them, and am thinking of making a few more presents with the idea.

I also need need need to paint something for Sean. It's been two years of dating, and so far I haven't found the inspiration I need to go there. A lot of my life revolves around this man. How do you paint something that encompasses all that a relationship is? Expecially a relationship of this magnitude. I've never been in a place like this before, and while it's new and exciting there's something a bit mundane and everyday about it. That's a lot to capture in a painting. Plus, Sean likes landscapes, and I'm not a huge landscape painter.

Enough excuses. Today, I will paint a landscape for the love of my life.

No comments: