My nightstand doesn't match my bedroom. It's Ally's old nightstand and one day it will probably end up back with her, but for now it's mine and I'm lucky I have an understanding best friend.
Because it didn't match.
So first I tried sanding it. And the sander hurt my arm, made a lot of noise, and produced black dust. So forget that.
Then scraping commenced. Come to think of it, it's a good thing I have an understanding boyfriend, too, because the floor and house was filled with paint chips by the time I was through with this process.
Then I got tired of doing that and just spray painted primer over the black sides and legs. I figured the place most likely to have the paint scratched off was the top anyway, and it was back to it's original non-scratchable state.
Picked a color for the drawer (originally was going to go with yellow, which would have probably been a wiser choice, but I saw this pink sitting on my desk and it was all over from there).
It doesn't match now, either, but it's pretty!